I Can See Clearly…

Of late, I’ve noticed more and more crafters starting to experiment with clear plastic–as opposed to paper cardstock–to create the base of cards and other projects. While I’ve admired the work, I have to say that I was a bit hesitant to try it for myself. I think the apprehension comes from the fact that plastic is much less forgiving in trying to “hide” adhesive and embellishment backs than cardstock would be. It really just comes down to a bit of forethought and planning.

I purchased a package of Clearly Creative Cardstock from Papertrey Ink. These 8 1/2″ x 11″ sheets of clear heavy-weight acetate are easy to cut and score–and truly make a blank canvas for a project. You can even stamp directly on the acetate if you should choose to. For my first project, I went with something a bit more simple–and yet, the result is very eyecatching.

I used a 8 1/2″ x 5 1/2″ piece of clear acetate (scored at 4 1/4″). Because I knew I wanted to used the velvet flower and pearl brad on my card front, I knew I had to find a way to hide “evidence” so to speak. To do so, I cut two pieces of cardstock from My Mind’s Eye “Life of the Party” collection at 3″ x 5 1/2″. By placing the lovely green striped cardstock back to back, I created a cover for the brad backing and a nice repeat of the front pattern on the clear cardstock. The velvet flower and pearl brad are from Creative Charms. The sentiment is from Papertrey Ink. For the final touch on the card front, I used a piece of Washi tape in a lovely muted floral pattern.

For the inside of the card, I used a piece of Papertrey Ink cardstock in New Leaf cut to the same size as the front pieces (3″ x 5 1/2″). I used another piece of the Washi tape. As a final touch–and carrying the pattern of the front of the card over–I used Epiphany Crafts Shape Studio Tool with the 25mm Heart shape to create an epoxy button using the same My Mind’s Eye patterned cardstock.

Before putting the final card together, I explored different craft glues to find one that would dry quickly, dry flexibly, and most importantly dry clearly. I ended up choosing a product from ScrapPerfect called “Best Glue Ever”. It seems to fit the bill and works quickly. I am one who uses very little liquid adhesives in my project (due to the mess and unsightly pulling). However, there are times when a good liquid adhesive comes in handy. I look forward to using this one again in some future projects.



Advertisements

Butterfly Thanks

Here’s a card project that uses Cricut cuts from the “Martha Stewart Crafts Elegant Cake Art” cartridge from ProvoCraft. The foiled cardstock (double-sided) base of the card is from SEI’s “Windsor Collection”. It was cut at 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″ and scored at 4 1/4″. I used my 1/2″ Zutter Round-It-All to cut the corners off the card.


The lattice work butterfly was cut at 4 1/4″ on my Cricut Expression. The base layer was a piece of decorative paper from Stampin’ Up!’s retired designer series paper “Raspberry Lemonade”. The top layer is cut from a 6″ x 6″ inch piece of Stampin’ Up! cardstock in Early Espresso and adhered to the base cut with Zig Two-Way glue pen. A piece of green washi (rice paper) tape was used as an accent across the top of the card, as well as some Kaiser Craft pearls on the body of the butterfly.


I thought it would be interesting to put my sentiment cut on the inside of the card (not too mention there was no room on the card face). The sentiment is from same Martha Stewart Cake cartridge and was cut at 1″. The shadow layer is cut from Stampin’ Up! Cherry Cobbler cardstock, while the top layer is Very Vanilla. Again, I used my Zig pen to put the layers together. Before laying down the sentiment, I used a Maya Road acetate doily in White for visual interest. I used a glue dot in the center to adhere the doily (which in turn was covered by my sentiment cut.



Overall, I like the bright cheery results. Oh, and don’t forget: Any of the cartridges designed for the Cricut Cake machine will indeed work in your regular Cricuts. So don’t pass-up the great Martha Stewart approved artwork on her cartridges or any of the other Cake cartridges. You’ll be sorry you did!


Hello

This card project is an unlikely combination of colors and patterns–but I think it works. All of the cardstock and decorative papers are from Stampin’ Up! The stamp sets I used are from Papertrey Ink (“Year of Flowers: Roses {June}”, “Mega Mixed Messages. I cut the rose and leaf images (stamped with Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black) out of Stampin’ Up! Whisper White cardstock and handcolored them with my Copic Sketch markers. They were adhered with Zig Two-Way glue pen and then attached to the card front with Stampin’ Dimensionals. The horizontal accents are two pieces of Japanese Washi tape in Avocado Green. The sentiment was stamped on matching decorative paper and punched out with the Stampin’ Up! Modern Label punch. Two jade green diamond drops from Robin’s Nest complete the look.