In yesterday’s mail, I received my copy of one of the newest ProvoCraft Cricut cartridge releases–‘Straight From The Nest’. This cartridge was designed by artists from the 3 Birds craft company and is currently an exclusive to the Home Shopping Network (HSN). It is not clear yet if this title will receive a wider release at some point–or if it will remain exclusive to HSN (who sells the 3 Birds line). The cartridge features many images of birds, flowers, plant life, flourishes and a few party themed cuts. While some may find some of the artwork repetitive (when comparing this cartridge to some other recent releases), I have to say that there is something rather whimsical and fantastical to how the images were realized. The artwork is less realistic and more animated in look and tone. The cartridge also features a couple of interesting creative features such as “corners” and “sliders”. I, personally, am glad to add it to my collection (though since I am a completist collector, that may not be as significant).
So after registering my cartridge and redeeming my Cricut Rewards certification, I immediately loaded the cartridge on to my Gypsy and started playing with several of the images. I really didn’t have the intention of making a card right then and there, but who needs beauty sleep? (Two words: under-eye concealer.) This is really a quick and fast card–and quite frankly not one of my best. But, I had to do something with the cartridge before I let myself consider the pillow.
Here’s a quick screen grab of my Gypsy virtual mat and the selections I chose to use in this card project. One of the neatest pluses to owning a Gypsy (in my humble opinion) is being able to see exactly where everything is going to lay out on your cutting mat and what size of paper(s) you will need to make the corresponding cuts. This makes it super easy to layout your entire project on one mat and cut everything in the same pass.
The image that caught my eye from the get-go was the nest and eggs pictured on the box cover. So I knew that had to be the focal point. I peeked around the images and found a simple piece of greenery and a cute sentiment that I thought would work and cut them out in a flash with my trusty green Cricut Expression. I also chose to use the shadow cut on the nest and sentiment.
The materials list for this project is as follows:
* PAPER: Stampin’ Up! cardstocks in Kiwi Kiss, Soft Suede, Whisper White, Tempting Turquoise; Stardream Fuse Mica cardstock in Lapis;
* TOOLS: Cricut Expression, Cricut Cartridge ‘Straight From The Nest’, Cuttlebug, Cuttlebug ‘Moroccan Screen’ embossing folder;
* ADHESIVES: Zig Two-Way glue pen, Stampin’ Up! Stampin’ Dimensionals;
* EMBELLISHMENT: Maya Road “birdie” frosted acrylic sheer die-cut, Stampin’ Up! Stampin’ Write Markers, Sakura clear glitter pen;
I thought the piece of embossed mica cardstock helped the sentiment pop on the cardface. I used Stampin’ Dimensionals under the sentiment shadow cut. I “tried” to jazz up the nest a bit with some color markings…the jury is still out on this one. On the eggs, I used a Stampin’ Write marker in Bordering Blue to add a speckled effect and slight blue hue to the egg shells. Unfortunately, this effect does not photograph well. I also decided the Kiwi Kiss color was too light on the greenery and went over it with a marker (hence the color change from cut to finished product). The bird was an afterthought, but I thought he made a nice addition (and don’t ask me how I know he’s a boy, lol). Like I said, it’s not one of my best, but I hope it gives you an idea of some of the cute projects you can make with this cartridge. I’ll feature some more projects with this cartridge in the coming days.
I’ll never be accused of being a “quiet” person. However, this post seems almost too “talky”. But if you hung in there with me and read the whole thing, I thank you and leave you with a couple of random notes. Have a great Thursday…and if you haven’t entered Giveaway #4 (see sidebar), time is running out.
01. Today is “Hello, Thursday!” on Cricut.com. We should see the unveiling of a new slate of cartridge releases in the upcoming weeks.
02. I posted about this on the Cricut Message Boards, but in case you didn’t see it–or don’t haunt them–I found the names of a few upcoming cartridges (some of which may in fact appear later today). They are: ‘Birthday Cakes’, ‘Create A Critter’, ‘Elegant Cakes’, ‘Holiday Cakes’, ‘Independence Day (Seasonal)’, ‘Summer Vacation (Seasonal)’, ‘Summer In Paris (Seasonal)’, ‘Robotz’, and ‘Nursery Rhymes’.
03. Last week, I purchased a boatload of Stampin’ Up! cardstock. This week, I ordered more paper from DCWV and California Paper Goods. It’s a sickness! There is no immunity!
04. For those of you that watch AI, am I the only one that actually misses Alex Lambert? Though I really do like Lee Dewyze.
05. Keep Crafting!