Glübers

Today’s card project was inspired by trying out a new product introduced in January by Cosmo Cricket: Glübers. Not only do I love the name, but the actual product is very nifty. The easiest way to tell you what Glübers are (if you haven’t played with them yet) is to picture a 2″ giant glue dot. Actually, Glübers come in a size range that includes 2″, 2.5″ and 3″ circular bases. So what do you do with a Glüber? It’s the perfect adhesive base for experimenting with ribbon, fabric, netting, seam binding tape, etc. to create your own floral embellishments. It gives you the ability to control the shapes, colors, material and design to create just what you need for a particular crafting project.

Now, I don’t profess to be a Glübers expert–in fact, the flower on this project is my first project. But, I can already tell you that they are addictive and I already have several ideas I’m looking forward to experimenting with. For this project, I worked with a solid length of ribbon, though it is quite adaptable. You can use scraps, fragments, twine, cording–nearly anything you can imagine to create flowers, rosettes, and other personal embellishments. I started from the outside edge and worked my way to the center. The way you fold or twist your ribbon is entirely in your hands.

My card base is Stampin’ Up! cardstock in Soft Suede. The card mat is Basic Grey paper from the “Capella” Collection. The sentiment stamp is from Papertrey. The ribbon is 5/8″ Swiss Dot Satin in Dark Chocolate from Papertrey Ink as well. For the middle of my rosette styled flower, I used a flatback Sparkler button from Webster’s Pages.






Advertisements

31

Here’s a quick and colorful card for the upcoming Halloweenie! The base cardstock is Papertrey Ink Simply Chartreuse. The plaid mat is from the Cosmo Cricut “Matilda” Collection. The glittered pumpkin mat is from the “Midnight Spell” stack by Die Cut With A View (DCWV). The stamped image is from Stampin’ Up!’s “Dark & Dreary” clear-mount set (#121151, $ 14.95). It was stamped with StazOn in Jet Black on Stampin’ Up! Whisper White cardstock. I used Stampin’ Write markers in Daffodil Delight and Really Rust to highlight the image. The image was adhered with Stampin’ Dimensionals. The ribbon–in Ripe Avocado–is from Papertrey Ink as well. The final accent is a Sparkler Button in Peach from Webster’s Pages.








On The Edge

Last night, I finally got around to playing with some of my new Tim Holtz ‘On The Edge’ dies. You will recall that these new dies are part of a collaboration between Sizzix and Tim Holtz for a new line called “Tim Holtz Alterations”. This die is unique in several ways. First, it is a new size and shape for the Sizzix line. The dies are 6″ x 2 3/4″ in measurement and are designed to cut a perfect 5 1/2″ border (which of course is the standard A2 card size). Each die (with the exception of one) actually features two cutting edges–one on each side of the steel rule die. You can use them in tandem–or simply use only one cut. For this project, I experimented with the die called ‘Ornate’.

I chose to use Stardream So…Silk! mica cardstock in Fair Blue for my base (cut at 5 1/2″ x 8 1/2″, scored at 4″). The decorative paper I chose for the front is from Cosmo Cricket’s “Material Girl” collection (cut at 5 1/2″ x 4 1/4″). I adhered the decorative paper before I began to cut with my ATG 714.

I used my Cuttlebug and On The Edge Die on each end of my cardstock, making two decorative cuts by simply reversing the die on each pass.



Flipping the cardstock back to the front side reveals the shape my card will take. I really love this set of coordinating cuts. They remind of the top of a pagoda.



For the embellishment of my card front, I combined some velvet leaves from 7 Gypsies with a felt flower from Heidi Swap. I also used a sequin, silver bead and crystal floral center from Prima Marketing. I adhered the pieces of my floral embellishment together with Glue Dots and then used All Night Media 1/2″ pop dots to adhere the piece to my card front. I used a piece of Pebbles grosgrain saddle-stitched ribbon to complete the effect. The sentiment is from Stampin’ Up! and was stamped with Papertrey Ink’s Enchanted Evening ink. The final touch was a Jenni Bowlin journaling block to the card’s interior (as the color was very deep for writing to show up clearly).








There are a total of six (6) Tim Holtz Alterations ‘On The Edge’ dies released thus far. Of course, I had to add them to my craft tool collection. From a card making perspective, I would highly recommend these dies to anyone. They are versatile with dual cuts. They’re easy to store and use. They work with your Sizzix Big Shot or ProvoCraft Cuttlebug. But most importantly, they give you the ability to really jazz up the look and edges of your cards for a very unique look. The dies released thus far are: Brackets, File Tabs, Ornate, Plaque & Postage, Scallops, and Scrollwork. Each die retails for $13.99.

I hope you all have an incredible weekend ahead. Don’t forget that the next Giveaway (see sidebar) will close this weekend. As always, Keep Crafting!