Recently, I posted a card that was made with a highly versatile clear acrylic stamp set from Papertrey Ink. The set is called “Friendship Jar” and is based around an old-fashioned canning jar that can be filled with various items and complimented with various jar toppers. The first card I did used the jar image filled with flowers.
For my second project, I wanted to create a jar filled with gumballs or jawbreakers. However, I was determined to find a way to make the jar look more like it was actually made of glass. My first thought was to use either Crystal Effects or Glossy Accents to cover over the jar once the coloring was done. After a couple of attempts, I was frustrated by the fact that during the drying process, the colors from the gumballs leached from the wetness. I was not happy with the final product. Last night, an alternative solution popped into my head and I had to try it. The solution it seems was to use the dies created to work with this stamp set and clear sheet of transparency film.
These corresponding steel dies are easy to run through any embossing machine to precut your cardstock before you stamp on them. I used my Cuttlebug and cut out the pieces I need from Stampin’ Up! Whisper White cardstock and a piece of clear write-on transparency film from Office Max.
Here is the jar image cut out with the die and then stamped with the jar image from the set using Tsukineko Memento in in Danube Blue. Next to it is the jar image cut from the transparency film. (Though it is somewhat difficult to tell from the photographs that follow, the transparency film really does give the jar the illusion of glass, with a bit of shine and reflection.) The card base was cut at an A2 size from Stampin’ Up! cardstock in Marina Mist. The card mat decorative paper is from Basic Grey’s Offbeat collection. I used the Stampin’ Up! Scallop Border punch to cut the sides. The images and sentiment are all Papertrey Ink stamps. The blue metal “rhinestuds” are from the new Imaginisce I-Rock collection and were adhered with their new heat tool. The images were colored with my Copic Sketch markers.